CLMN | India in 300 words11 October 2016
Have you wondered why many Indians talk to each other in English instead of the Indian language? What is India? India the country is comparable to Europe the continent. The largest democracy, of 1.27 billion Indians, is an amalgamation of diverse cultures and more than 2.000 ethnic groups. According to ‘SIL International’, there are 461 distinct languages (1.000+ dialects). 70 different scripts (some scriptless - like Kodava) are in existence with no national language (that’s right: we do not have a national language). There is a very high chance two Indians don’t speak the same language hence converse in English.
Have you visited Metaforum to taste Indian dishes during the ‘Love my Curry’ phase? So is that the Indian curry? (I can vouch that the offerings are as authentic as they can get).
There is so much diversity that if you happen to travel approximately 100km in any direction, you’ll most likely be eating different food (there is no such thing as THE Indian curry) with widely varying spice levels, experiencing completely different music, art and fashion. We are home to the largest vegan population but that’s still 29 percent, so the remaining 71 percent eat meat. It is not uncommon to hear someone say rice is not staple to them.
We still have many clichés. Following are a few amusing ones:
We have a unique head bobble (shaking the head) to say yes/good/OK/understood.
Apart from the eight religions, we have one common religion and that’s Cricket.
We fiercely bargain for that 20 cent discount on that 50 euro bill.
It is nationally accepted to leave at 8pm for the 7pm party.
Applying oil on the hair is so natural (literally) to us that we don’t understand the astonished look on the faces of others when they hear it for the first time.
The list is bound only by the length of this article.
For a while now, TU/e student Guido Buntinx and his friend Christophe Westerveld (student of Zuyd University of Applied Sciences) have been attracting a lot of attention with their 'electric beer crates'. Limburg's regional TV station and the TV news program Editie NL also got wind of their creative initiative. The short internet videos showing them riding along on the public highways have been watched multiple times.
The Department of Applied Physics needs to make significant savings: one million euros on a total annual budget of nine million. This was announced last week Wednesday by Departmental Dean Gerrit Kroesen at a staff meeting. The draft reorganization plan must be ready by the end of November and, says Kroesen, compulsory redundancies cannot be ruled out. The Departmental Council is holding talks today with the Departmental Office.
The fourth day of the Bridgestone World Solar Challenge in Australia has come to an end and Solar Team Eindhoven is clearly leading the Cruiser Class. Despite earlier transport problems and the limited window for testing on site, TU/e solar car Stella Vie is performing in the outback “far beyond expectations”. With some 900 kilometers to go, a third world title seems almost a dead cert for the team from Eindhoven - but this is no time for complacency.
At this university there are students who are not taking any classes, but they are still forced to pay the full sum of their tuition fee. How is that? When you take a look at what they are doing instead of following courses, their reasons become clear. They form one of the most important cornerstones of the TU/e, they are the student board members and part of student teams.
TU/e has made a considerable leap in the prestigious international Times Higher Education World University Rankings that focus on the subject areas Engineering & Technology and Computer Science. TU/e belongs to the fifteen and eighteen best European universities on these subjects respectively. The THE ranking forms an important yardstick for government departments, policymakers and international students.